What role can parents play?
Parents play an important role in assisting learners choose a career. Below are some of the task parents should undertake:
- Parents should offer guidance and discuss the various options with their child to ensure the appropriate subject choices are made as early as grade 9.
- Parents can help their children by collecting information on a variety of careers and the necessary subjects and NSC grade 12 passes that they will require for the carrers they wish to get into.
- Subject choice is an important decision that will have an effect on the learners’ future, and could limit their career options if not given proper consideration and thought.
- Parents should assist their children to make appropriate subject choices depending on what the child is interested in doing or the kind of career the child may be considering.
- Further education and Training Colleges and Universities require learners to have particular combinations of subjects in order to study further. It is in the learner’s best interest to be aware of this at an early stage.
- Mathematics is one subject of particular importance. It is important that learners find out if they need mathematics or mathematics literacy to study further in their chosen careers. This is a common requirement amongst many of the study options available to learners at a tertiary level.
- Parents could approach the School Governing Body to request the school to collect information on further study options and careers from the District, Province or FET Colleges and /or universities.